Baby steps to get to where we're going...
You know the expression "you gotta walk before you run"
We teach our children this all the time. Things take time to develop, explaining to our kids about not getting frustrated and to just keep practicing whatever skill it is they are trying to master. So how come we can't take our own advice sometimes?
Often people have a new year's resolution, wait until New Years day and they announce their goal (usually with no plan in place). Usually when there is no plan, there is no action and this does not set ourselves up for success.
It's like a toddler saying "I'm going to dress myself in January" without knowing what clothes are or let alone the difference between what an arm is from a leg. It's all about baby steps, we would teach a toddler first what clothes are, talk about body parts, then talk about how to put things on. And when frustrations set in because baby has put one arm through their pant leg and a sock stuck on their big toe, what do we tell our kids? "don't get frustrated, take it slow, let's take this step by step, ask for help"
The advice we give our kids are the same things we need to use in our lives. Have a goal? What are the steps to get there? How do you support yourself in making that goal a reality?
And at the end of the day, if you don't reach your goal in your expected time. Don't be so hard on yourself. Re-adjust and move forward.
Here are so tips on how to be successful with your 2019 goals:
1. MAKE IT REAL by writing it down or telling it to a friend. Writing things down or saying it aloud to someone makes your goal REAL. Not just some random thought in your mind. You are now accountable for this goal now start thinking about how you WILL make it a reality.
2. BREAK IT DOWN. What steps do I need to take to get to my goal? Take a moment to write these steps down. Even if you need to break it down into the smallest steps, do it.
3. COMPLETE BY DAY. Give each step from #2 a "complete by" date.
4. CHECK IN. Pick one day each month to check in and see where you're at. What have you completed or where do you need to re-adjust. Make changes as you go, because life doesn't go as planned and it's okay to change what you want.
5. JUST DO IT. There is no time better than the present. So put that goal out into the universe (no matter how realistic you think it might be) and just DO IT.